At its core, Fresh is a combination of a routing framework and templating engine that renders pages on demand, on the server. In addition to this just-in-time (JIT) rendering on the server, Fresh also provides an interface for seamlessly rendering some components on the client for maximum interactivity. The framework uses Preact and JSX for rendering and templating on both the server and the client.
Fresh projects can be deployed manually to any platform with
deno, but it is
intended to be deployed to an edge runtime like Deno Deploy for
the best experience.
Some stand out features:
- No build step
- Zero config necessary
- JIT rendering on the edge
- Tiny & fast (no client JS is required by the framework)
- Optional client side hydration of individual components
- Highly resilient because of progressive enhancement and use of native browser features
- TypeScript out of the box
- File-system routing à la Next.js